Carbon monoxide poisoning killed three U.S. tourists in the Bahamas

Carbon monoxide poisoning killed three U.S. tourists in the Bahamas

According to officials, three American visitors were discovered dead at a resort in the Bahamas in May and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Authorities said the fatalities were still being investigated and withheld any other information.

The fatalities had been named as Tennessee residents Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, as well as Florida resident Vincent Chiarella, 64.

Donnis Chiarella, the 65-year-old widow of Chiarella, was discovered alive and taken to New Providence for medical attention before being sent to a hospital in Florida.

At the Sandals Emerald Bay resort on the island of Exuma, the couples were lodged in different villas in the same building. 

It was unclear whether carbon monoxide detectors were present in the villas or, if so if they were operational.

According to the police, all four visitors saw a doctor the evening before their corpses were found and complained of feeling unwell.

The source of the carbon monoxide that killed them was unclear. The Bahamian police spokesperson, Audley Peters, claimed he could not offer the information “at this time” and did not reply to additional queries. A Sandals representative forwarded all inquiries to the police.

Three victims’ samples had been forwarded to a Philadelphia facility for toxicology tests.

Following the three fatalities, Sandals said last month that it had placed carbon monoxide detectors in every guest room at Emerald Bay and intended to do the same at all of its properties.

Authorities found that the deaths were brought on by an “isolated incident in one standalone structure that housed two individual guest rooms,” according to Sandals, which made the same claim in a statement to CBS News on Tuesday night that was similar to one it had previously made about a month earlier.

The fatalities were “in no way tied to the resort’s air conditioning system, food, and beverage service, landscaping services, or foul play,” according to Sandals’ prior statement.

Seven years have passed since a Delaware family visited a resort in the U.S. Virgin Islands and suffered a terrible illness. 

Authorities in the United States concluded that the resort’s repeated use of methyl bromide, a very hazardous insecticide outlawed indoor home use in 1984, was to blame.