Saturday, January 29, 2022
No menu items!
HomeSports NewsChina tennis player Peng has denied accusations of sexual assault

China tennis player Peng has denied accusations of sexual assault

China tennis player Peng has denied accusations of sexual assault. 

Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai told reporters in a statement on the weekend that she never accused anyone of sexually assaulting her in a social media post she posted this month that was misinterpreted.

Peng’s health became a source of concern for the international rights organizations and the tennis community after she claimed that the former Chinese vice-premier Zhang Gaoli had sexually assaulted her. 

After the post, she disappeared from the public eye for three weeks.

“First, I need to stress one extremely important point. I have never said or written that anyone has sexually assaulted me. I have to stress this point clearly,” Peng stated in the video uploaded in the video by Lianhe Zaobao, a Singapore media outlet.

Peng’s comments on Sunday were the first time she discussed the camera issue in the public eye. She made her remarks in the background of a cross-country ski event in Shanghai that she took part in.

She stated it was because her post on Weibo, the Twitter-like social media platform, which was removed quickly it was considered a “private matter.”

Peng 35-year-old Peng said in the video Peng, 35, that “people have many misunderstandings” regarding Peng’s Weibo post. However, Peng did not go into detail.

She also mentioned she lived at her home within Beijing with no supervision. She didn’t make mention of Zhang.

The Women’s Tennis Association, which stated that it was going to end events within China immediately because of concerns about how Peng was treated Peng and the safety of other players, demanded an investigation.

“It was again good to see Peng Shuai in a public setting, and we certainly hope she is doing well,” the statement reads. The statement.

“As we have consistently stated, these appearances do not alleviate or address the WTA’s significant concerns about her well-being and ability to communicate without censorship or coercion,” the WTA stated.

“We remain steadfast in our call for a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault, which is the issue that gave rise to our initial concern.”

China has not yet made a formal comment on Peng’s first post. However, the Chinese government said following the WTA’s decision to stop events across China, they “oppose the politicization of sports.” Zhang has not made any comments on the subject.

The scandal’s story that broke out when Beijing was preparing to host a Winter Olympics in February is heavily censored in China.

Peng stated in the video that was posted the previous day that she wrote a letter in the last month to WTA chief Steve Simon, in which she denied that she was the victim of assault. 

She also claimed that Chinese official media provided the English version of the letter proved correct.

Simon stated in the past that Simon “had a hard time believing” that Peng was the one who wrote the email or believed that it was believed to be the account of Peng.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has held two video conferences with 35-year-old Peng.

In the Shanghai event on Sunday, Peng appeared on a fifth-floor viewing deck with athletes from different sports, including former NBA basketball player Yao Ming, and watched for around 20 minutes, according to Lianhe Zaobao’s report.

She wore a black coat with the China flag and a red T-shirt with Chinese characters. China.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Suggested for you

Recent Stories