English cricket will join soccer’s social media blackout this weekend in response to continued racist abuse online by professional players in the country, the Cricket Board of England and Wales (ECB) said on Wednesday.
The BCE with the county’s 18 first-class teams, the eight regional women’s teams, and the Professional Cricketers Association (PCA) will join the football community to close their social media accounts from 3 pm local time (1400 GMT ) from Friday until 11.59. pm on Monday, May 3.
“As a sport, we are united in our commitment to fight racism and will not tolerate the type of discriminatory abuse that has become so prevalent on social media platforms,” said ECB Executive Director Tom Harrison in a statement.
“Social media can play a very positive role in sport, expanding its audience and connecting fans with their heroes in a way that has never been possible before.
“However, both players and fans must be able to use these platforms with the certainty that they are not at risk of egregious abuse.”
Cricketers have not been immune to online abuse, and England’s fast bowler Jofra Archer revealed last year that he received racist messages on social media after violating bio-bubble protocols during the test series against the Indies. Westerners.
Earlier this month, England bowler Stuart Broad said national team players were willing to take a stand against online abuse.
The Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) has also endorsed the campaign, which aims to encourage social media companies to do more to eradicate hate online. British and international tennis players are frequently abused online, simply for losing a match or even a point. This abuse is often especially directed at female players, ”the LTA said in a statement.
~ She is a professional blogger, writer, speaker, and attached to a famous magazine in India. She loves to cover all types of Sports news in NewsGater.