India reaches Olympic 2020 hockey semifinals after 49 years

India reaches Olympic 2020 hockey semifinals after 49 years.

India last won a medal in hockey at the 1980 Moscow Olympics. Vasudevan Bhaskaran was the captain of the gold-winning Indian team. After 41 years, the Indian team is close to history again.

Also, read Katie Ledecky wins 800m freestyle Olympic games Tokyo 2020.

However, the Indian team got a ticket to the final directly from the second position in the pool of six teams. The last time the Indian hockey team reached the semifinals was in 1972 at the Montreal Olympics.

The 1980 gold-winning Olympian dreamed of the country before Manpreet Singra took to the field against Great Britain in Tokyo. His dream became proof that it was not false.

India reached the semifinals of Olympic hockey by defeating Great Britain 3–1. Manpreet went one step further towards 41 years of the curse. The chances of a medal are bright for the favorites.

Akashdeep’s goal in the quarter-finals of the Rio Olympics did not last long. The medal dream came to an end with a 3–1 loss to Belgium. On this day, India went one step further towards fulfilling its dream by defeating Great Britain.

Apart from losing 7–1 to Australia in the group stage, the Indian team has a great game throughout the tournament. India dominated from the start of the match against England.

Mandeep got the ball in a convenient place in the D-box in 1 minute. But England’s defenders were playing well at that moment. So that they did not get a chance to take a shot in the goal, Britain could not use the penalty corner in the 3rd minute.

India went ahead in the 7th minute of the match. Manpreet also maintained consistency against Great Britain. Dilpreet Singh led the team from Simranjit Singh’s pass.

After getting the goal in the beginning, the confidence of the fans increased. Gurjant Singh got the ball in the shooting area in the 16th minute and made it 2-0.

Nilakanta Sharma got a chance to increase the gap in the minute. But could not use.

Great Britain became desperate to restore parity in the second half. Despite playing in an aggressive mood, the Indian defense could not penetrate.

Finally, in the 45th minute, Samuel Ward reduced the gap by using the penalty corner. Great Britain overcame India at the end of the match. After picking up one attack after another, Rupinder Singh could not break through the three sticks.

In the 57th minute, Hardik Singh ended England’s hopes of returning to the match against Great Britain. Hardik got the ball from Nilakant Sharma and went ahead on a solo run to make it 3-1 from a problematic corner.

At the same time, after 41 years, India reached the semifinals of Olympic hockey.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here