Jackrabbit Men impresses in season-opening win over Bradley.
BROOKINGS, SD (SDSU) – Five Jackrabbits scored in double figures as South Dakota State (1-0) opened the season with an 81-65 win over Bradley (0-1) Tuesday night against an energetic crowd from Frost Arena.
Douglas wilson and Baylor scheierman each scored a double-double in the victory. Wilson posted a game record of 20 points with 10 rebounds, while Scheierman had 10 points and 14 rebounds.
Noah freidel added 16 points while Matt dentlinger and Alex Arians joined the others in double figures with 13 and 11 points, respectively. First-year guard Zeke May finished his first game as a Jackrabbit with eight points and three assists.
South Dakota State completed 28-of-29 from the free-throw line, led by a 10-of-10 performance by Wilson that tied his career for marks from the charity line.
The Jackrabbits rushed to a 10-1 lead to trigger a timeout from Bradley less than five minutes into the game. The Braves retired within five (10-5) of the timeout, but that would be as close as they could get for the rest of the contest.
SDSU led by up to 24 and shot 56.3% (9 of 16) from beyond the arc in the first half. Freidel led the Jacks with 13 points in 15 minutes off the bench in the first period.
Bradley kept the Jacks’ three-point threat in check in the second half and came close to 14 (60-46) with 10 minutes remaining, but was unable to string together a run to further reduce SDSU’s lead. The Jacks pushed their lead to 22 points with 6:29 left and battled for a 16-point victory.
SDSU won the rebounding battle over the long-running Braves team, 48-42, and grabbed 13 offensive boards compared to 10. The Jacks finished with 13 second-chance points and limited Bradley to just three. SDSU scored 26 points from turnovers, while Bradley scored just six.
Bradley was driven by 15 points from Terry Roberts and 11 from Rienk Mast.
- South Dakota State improves to 2-1 in the season opener and 3-0 in the opener at home under Eric Henderson.
- Douglas wilson He posted the fifth double-double of his career with 20 points and 10 rebounds. Wilson tied a career-high 10 from the free-throw line.
- Baylor scheierman he posted his 14th career double-double with 10 points and 14 rebounds.
- Matt dentlinger he has scored in double figures in 10 consecutive games since last season.
- Noah freidel Posted 30th his career game in double figures.
- Tonight’s attendance at the Frost Arena was 2,445.
- South Dakota State improves to 128-7 (.948) inside Frost Arena from 2011-12, the best home winning percentage in the nation in that span.