Rajnath Singh launches 75 AI-powered defence products on Monday

The Department of Defense Production, Ministry of Defense will host the nation’s first-ever “Artificial Intelligence in Defense” (AIDef) conference and exhibition on July 11 at Vigyan Bhawan. Defense Minister Rajnath Singh will officially open the symposium.

The event will include an expo to show off the state-of-the-art AI-enabled solutions created by businesses, research institutions, start-ups, and innovators, as well as the introduction of AI goods to the market.

Ajay Kumar, the secretary of defence, gave a briefing on the occasion on Friday. He described it as a significant occasion where 75 recently developed AI products and technologies with military applications will be unveiled as part of the ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ celebrations marking the country’s 75th anniversary and to support the ‘Aatmanirbharta’ initiative in the military.

“The nature of contemporary conflict is evolving, and AI will play a big role. These goods have undergone testing and will soon be used to improve the country’s safety and security, “said Mr Kumar.

He added that the products are in cyber security, human behaviour analysis, intelligent monitoring systems, logistics and supply chain management, speech and voice analysis, Command, Control, Communication, Computer and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) systems, and operational data analytics.

READ MORE: Shinde and Devendra Fadnavis will meet PM Modi and JP Nadda today

In addition to the 75 goods being released, he said that another 100 were in different stages of development.

The ceremony will also honour two outstanding defence exporters, one from the public and one from the private sector.

In response to a query, Additional Secretary Sanjay Jaju said that defence exports reached a record high of 13,000 crores in the fiscal year 2021–2022, with a contribution of 70% from the private sector and the remaining 30% from the public sector.

The event will also include panel discussions with participation from the Services, academics, students, research organizations, and industry on topics including “Deploying AI in Defence,” “GenNext AI solutions,” and “AI in Defence – Industry Perspective.”

The “GenNext AI” Solutions Competition aims to gather creative, forward-thinking student ideas for cutting-edge AI solutions. The top three concepts chosen by AI specialists will also be honoured. Additionally, a showcase of AI products has been planned.

Dignitaries from friendly foreign nations, top officials from the Ministry of Defence and other Ministries of the Indian Government, and representatives from research institutions, academia, and industry are anticipated to attend the event.

You may remember that in 2018 they created a task group on AI for the defence to lay out a plan for advancing AI in defence.