Shinzo Abe's assassin used a handmade firearm

Shinzo Abe’s assassin used a handmade firearm made with 3D printer.

The shooting death of former prime minister Shinzo Abe, the longest-serving leader in modern Japanese history, on Friday as he was running for a parliamentary seat shocked a nation where weapons are strictly regulated, and political violence is almost unimaginable.

Around five and a half hours after the shooting in the city of Nara, Abe, 67, was declared dead. Police detained a 41-year-old guy after discovering a handmade pistol in his possession.

Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, a favored successor of Abe, told reporters, “I am stunned at the news of Abe’s death.

Kishida had previously fought to control his emotions while Abe still lay in the hospital being revived.

He said that the assault was a horrible crime during elections, which are the cornerstone of our democracy.

Two bullets were fired when Abe spoke at a campaign address in front of a railway station. The individual was then seen being tackled by security personnel while wearing a grey T-shirt and beige pants.

A businessman at the site, Makoto Ichikawa, told Reuters that a tremendous blast had been followed by smoke. 

Then, after the second shot, what seemed to be special police grabbed him. “After the first gunfire, no one understood what was happening.”

The Kyodo news agency released a picture of Abe with blood on his white shirt and lying face-up beside a guardrail in the roadway. 

A crowd of people surrounded him. One of them was massaging his heart.

Abe had undergone cardiopulmonary arrest and was not breathing when he was rushed to the hospital. Deep wounds to the heart and the right side of his neck caused him to bleed, and he was pronounced dead at 5:03 p.m. (0803 GMT).

At a televised press conference, Hidetada Fukushima, the professor in charge of emergency medicine at Nara Medical University Hospital, said that he had received more than 100 units of blood in transfusions over four hours.

According to the police, the shooter acknowledged using a homemade pistol made of metal and wood to shoot Abe.

Tetsuya Yamagami was his name, according to the media. He lived in Nara, worked for Japan’s Maritime Self-Defense Forces for three years, and now looked jobless, according to the police. They were looking into the possibility that he had acted alone.

At his one-room apartment in Nara City, investigators reportedly discovered “many” other handcrafted firearms.

According to the police, the suspect said he had a grievance against a “particular organization” and thought Abe was a member of it. 

He also claimed that his hatred was not political. However, it was unclear if the unnamed organization truly existed.