The Top 5 Actors of the Decade:
5) Ryan Gosling – Blade Runner 2049 (2018), First Man (2018), The Nice Guys (2016), La La Land (2016), The Big Short (2015), The Place Beyond The Pines (2012), Drive (2011), Blue Valentine (2010)
He has played a wide variety of roles over the last decade; from a balding divorcee in Blue Valentine to an astronaut in First Man. Additionally, it’s important to highlight the brilliant portrayal of quiet heroes that he provided to the world in films such as Blade Runner 2049 and Drive.
4) Christian Bale – Vice (2018), Hostiles (2017), The Big Short (2015), American Hustle (2013), The Dark Knight Rises (2012), The Fighter (2010)
No caped crusader enjoyed as much popularity as the Dark Knight himself in the 2010s. It was so successful that this rendition of Batman was regarded by many as the definitive version of the decade, and the trilogy grossed well over $2 billion at the box office and established Christian Bale as the definitive Batman. In preparation for roles in The Fighter, Vice, The Big Short, and American Hustle, Bale spent years training and losing (and gaining) vast amounts of weight. Bale was nominated for three more acting awards for his performance in these four films, as well as a Best Supporting Actor award for each of them.
3) Joaquin Phoenix – Joker (2019), You Were Never Really Here (2018), Her (2013), The Master (2012), I’m Still Here (2010)
The much-anticipated R-rated version of Joker, starring Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck, has been the talk of the town. In a classic piece of acting, Phoenix was able to capture both the ruthless nature and the sympathetic aspect of this character at the same time. The news should not come as a surprise to fans that have been following his career for at least some time and have followed him closely. In films like The Master and Her, Phoenix has turned in outstanding performances. There is no doubt he is ramping up for yet another exciting decade as he has projects like a rumored Joker sequel on his plate.
2) Leonardo DiCaprio –Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019), The Revenant (2015), The Wolf Of Wall Street (2013), The Great Gatsby (2013), Django Unchained (2012), Inception (2010), Shutter Island (2010)
By the time Leonard DiCaprio has reached this point in his career, he has cemented himself as one of his generation’s most important actors, if not the most important. Although he is well deservedly winning a Best Actor award for the work he did in The Revenant, there is a question as to whether or not he does not deserve to have at least a few of these awards at home. Despite winning his first Oscar in this decade, DiCaprio was more than capable of picking up another two or three. Despite winning his first Oscar in this decade, DiCaprio was more than capable of picking up another two or three. His filmography and performances put him on par with Bogart, Nicholson, and Brando, who were all legendary actors.
1) Johnny Depp – Edward Scissorhands (1990), What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993), Sleepy Hollow (1999), Pirate of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003), Black Mass (2015), Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)
After debuting onscreen in the 1984 film A Nightmare on Elm Street and gaining stardom on 21 Jump Street and becoming a teen heartthrob on the show, Depp downplayed his great looks in the 90s and concentrated on making an impression with his acting. Guess what, it’s true! While he played extremely different characters in Chocolat, Blow, From Hell, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico over the last decade, he failed to reach blockbuster status. In 2003, with the release of Pirate of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, all of that changed when Depp was cast as Jack Sparrow, the rum-loving, oddball pirate. There’s no denying that the movie was a smash hit, but it also garnered Depp a nomination for an Oscar Award. As Sparrow, he also stars in the two successful sequels of the movie, as well as in several Tim Burton films over the years, including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, and Alice in Wonderland. Although Depp is known for his crazy on-screen antics, there is no denying his broad appeal.
She is a freelance blogger, writer, and speaker, and writes for various entertainment magazines.